Tuesday, November 21, 2017

What's in a Word?


Words fascinate me. How they look, feel, and roll off the tongue. They’re like buried treasure, just waiting to be dug up, polished and put on display. I tuck them away in my brain for future reference and sometimes make lists so I don’t forget a fav.

People collect all kinds of things. I collect words. Yeah, I’m weird.

I so appreciate that Paul, Marsha, and Dawn often give Greek and Hebrew definitions when they teach. It helps me understand scripture better and I’m always amazed at how often what I thought was being said wasn’t even close to the intended meaning. Like a few weeks ago when we were talking about love.

Our text was from Matthew 22.37-39:
You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself. (NLT)

It’s pretty obvious that God wants us to love. Love Him with heart, soul, and mind. And equally important, love others. Love’s a big deal. But do we really understand it?

A simple Google search nets a gazillion results on the subject. A few of the basics include:
Eros-    Sensual or romantic love
Storge- Family love
Philia-   Deep emotional bond of friendships.
Agape- God's love for humankind.

I’ll admit to tossing around the concept recklessly. I’ve blurted it out in regards to everything from electronics to chocolate to my furbaby, Toby. We love shopping (for most women-I'm just not one of them), our children, and plush carpet.

What's not to love?
But in order to answer the burning question of how to love God and others, Paul shared the Greek meaning in this passage. It’s the word agapao, (a VERY cool sounding word) and is the verb form of agape. It means to love dearly, in large quantity. To treat with high value. With affection.

So how do we agapao God with heart, soul, and mind?

By turning to Him. Drawing near in order to come closer. Learning to depend on Him. 

Come close to God, and God will come close to you.  James 4.8 NLT

Turning to Him is a choice. God is a gentleman. He doesn’t foist himself upon us and allows us free-will to make decisions. It's up to us. But the good news is the promise: That if we come close to Him, He will come close to us.

So. . .

I can choose to consult Him on my plans—instead of asking Him to bless what I’ve already put into place.

I can learn to take a pause and ask Him what HE would have me do. Otherwise, I'm running ahead, bent on getting my own way.

I can make prayer my first response as opposed to my last resort so I will learn to depend on Him instead of myself.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4.6-7 NLT

Here's another promise: Turning to Him will bring us peace, something we all could use more of.

Then the heart will take action, stimulated by peaceful feelings. It can't be conjured but will naturally grow as a consequence of humble submission and obedience to Him.

Then we can agapao others, too.










No comments:

Post a Comment